Here at the Pejic Law Group, P.C., our Indiana car accident lawyer understands the financial, personal, and legal repercussions of a car wreck. Scott Pejic is knowledgeable about the prevailing laws in the state of Indiana and can effectively work on your case and help you receive just compensation for the accident. Anyone involved in an accident — whether the the driver, passenger, or an innocent bystander — should contact a personal injury attorney with experience in automobile accidents to discuss their options.
If you have been in a car accident, I recommend the following:
1) Always contact the police. This provides official documentation of the wreck and the police will investigate at the scene in an attempt to determine who is at fault.
2) Seek medical treatment for any injuries you incur. Doing so provides an exact record of what injuries you obtained as a result of the accident.
3) Make sure you stay at the scene until police let you know it is okay to leave. Leaving without talking to police may result in criminal charges against you.
4) Exchange information with the other driver(s). This should include, name, insurance, license, and any other pertinent information.
5) Make an accurate record of what you saw and remember. This may mean taking notes, pictures, or even sketching the accident scene. If anyone witnessed the accident, you should also get their name and phone number.
6) Make sure that in no way do you admit fault, even if you believe you were at fault. You can be polite toward the other driver, but apologizing or admitting fault will only come back to haunt you. You also should never sign any documents that are not from the police or your insurance agent.